Based on research of industry needs and competencies and skill sets identified as essential for Web technology workers, WOW has designed the following guidelines, learning objectives, and resources as a foundation for those pursuing knowledge, experience, and/or careers as Webmasters. The guidelines, objectives, and resources are designed to make the learning experience comparable to one experienced in college-level courses by providing course descriptions and learning objectives. After completing the CPW guidelines and resources, individuals may take the WOW Certified Professional Webmaster Certification Exam.
The WOW Certified Professional Webmaster (CPW) examination measures essential competencies for aspiring or practicing Webmasters. The examinee must demonstrate knowledge of Site Admin & Maintenance, Networking Basics, Hardware and infrastructure, Web Business Management, Security at the standard defined by this test specification. The skills and knowledge measured by this examination are derived from an industry-wide and worldwide job task analysis which was validated through a survey of hundreds of designers. The results of the survey were used in weighting the domains and ensuring that the weighting is representative of the relative importance of that content to the job requirements of a WOW Certified Web Administrator Associate. The intent is to certify individuals in a body of knowledge that is identified and accepted as the baseline or foundation of any Web Designer.
- How the Internet Works (6th Edition) by Preston Gralla. Publisher: Que, ISBN: 0789725827
Markup, CSS, Scripting, Site Design, Site Management, Accessibility, and Multimedia
- Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity by Jakob Nielsen. Publisher: New Riders. ISBN: 156205810X.
- Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability by Steve Krug, Roger Black. Publisher: Que. ISBN: 0789723107
Markup, CSS, Scripting, Site Design, Site Management, Accessibility, Scripting
The books in this section cover a broad range of topics, but also provide detailed learning specific to the title content.
- Special Edition Using HTML and XHTML by Molly E. Holzschlag. Publisher: Que. ISBN: 0789727315
- Designing With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman. Publisher: New Riders. ISBN: 0735712018
- Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide by Eric A. Meyer Publisher: O’Reilly Publishing, ISBN: 1565926226
- Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web Design by Eric A. Meyer. Publisher: New Riders. ISBN: 073571245X
- CSS: The Designer’s Edge by Molly E. Holzschlag. Publisher: Sybex, ISBN: 0782141846
Web Project Management
- Web Project Management: Delivering Successful Commercial Web Sites by Ashley Friedlein. Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN: 1558606785
Web Graphics and Multimedia
- designing web graphics.4, Fourth Edition by Lynda Weinman. Publisher: New Riders. ISBN: 0735710791
- Macromedia Flash MX Unleashed, by Matthew Pizzi. Publisher: Sams. ISBN: 0672324016
- Creating Web Graphics, Audio, and Video Interactive Workbook by Michael R. Mosher, Roger P. Shepard Jr. Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR. ISBN: 0130865907
Networking, Infrastructure, and Security
- How Networks Work by Frank Derfler and Les Freed. Publisher: Que, ISBN: 0789727536
- Sams Teach Yourself Networking in 24 Hours by Matt Hayden. Publisher: Sams, ISBN: 0672320029
- Maximum Security, (4th Edition) by Anonymous, et al. Publisher: Sams, ISBN: 0672324598
Web Programming and Dynamic Website Technology
- Internet & World Wide Web How to Program (2nd Edition) by Harvey M. Deitel, Paul J. Deitel, T. R. Nieto. Publisher: Prentice Hall. ISBN: 0130308978
- Database Solutions: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building Databases by Thomas Connolly, Carolyn Begg. Publisher: Addison-Wesley. ISBN: 0201674769
- Inside the Minds: Internet Lawyers – The Most Up to Date Handbook of Important Answers to Issues Facing Every Entrepreneur, Lawyer, and Anyone with a Web Site by Aspatore Books Staff, InsideTheMinds.com, James Hutchinson, Mark Fischer, Arnold Levine, Carl Cohen, Brian Vandenberg, Harrison Smith, Mark Gruhin, Gordon Caplan, Mintz Levin, Richard Turner, John Igeo. Publisher: Aspatore Books. ISBN: 1587620065